Sunday, October 17, 2010

Remove Child Labor Laws! (not really...)

I like to think of myself as a Carefree Girl. It has been used to describe me, but only by people who don't know me very well. All of those who really do know me, know that it's really the opposite. I have many cares. More importantly, I have many worries. I mean, if you knew me, I'm an over weight, average looking girl of average intelligence. I'm not saying I'm bad or ugly. I'm just nothing truly special. I'm no model who could rock the catwalk during Paris' Fashion Week nor am I some genius who has the potential to cure the common cold. I'm a girl who has a nice smile, bright eyes, can sometimes photograph well, and who has thousands of questions flowing through her head, with the inspiration to learn all she can about psychology. Nothing show-stopping or award-winning. Just me.

I actually wish that someone would have told me at a young age that I wasn't going to be anything special. That I would be an average American. That if I worked hard, then I can get the things I want, but nothing in life would be handed to me. I think that as a child I excepted that. In fact, as a young child, everything was. I wanted that Barbie Jeep, I got it. I wanted a seventh birthday party with 15 screaming girls, I got it. That dress, that puppy, dance lessons, baseball, whatever. I got it. I didn't have to work for anything. Just flash a smile, and if that didn't work: I cried. Oh, how far that gets a girl.*

But, if I was taught to work hard, then maybe I would be different now. I would be someone who isn't procrastinating that essay. I could be someone who has conquered the world and been more kick ass then Sally Field! I could have been some quad-lingo, world class painter/gymnast who's running out of room for all of her Gold Medals! Who the fuck am I kidding? I could never be a gymnast, I'm too tall and my double D's would get in the way!

So, who wants to make a contract with me? Let's all agree that from an early age we won't instill in our children that they can do or be anything they want. Let's agree that we won't give them toys unless the work for them. And yes, this includes those youngsters! Habits form early! Let's agree that our children will need to have jobs to get rewarded! Just like in the olden days! (Those factory working kids know the value of a dollar!)  Let's get down to business, to defeat, not the Hun, the ignorance!

*Okay, so I still do this, but not often! It still gets you far!

No comments:

Post a Comment